WHAT’S THE BIG DEAL ABOUT BLUE MINERALS?
Blue Minerals Chalk & Mineral Paint Powder is a revolutionary product that has changed the way we paint furniture. Once added to regular latex or acrylic paint, it can be used to paint directly onto almost any surface without sanding or priming. (Including Laminate).
BENEFITS OF USING BLUE MINERALS CHALK & MINERAL PAINT POWDER
- Easy to Apply
- Adhered to just about anything… wood, laminate, metal, clay, stone, etc. All without priming or sanding!
- Excellent coverage. Because of the additional porous bonding agents in Blue Minerals, the paint becomes extremely pigmented, blocking out almost anything in 1-3 coats.
- Flexible. It can be used to create an antique finish, a wash, or even a high gloss finish.
- Sands Like A Fine Powder
- Can Be Used to Create A Chalk Board on Any Surface
WHAT CAN YOU PAINT WITH BLUE MINERALS?
Just about anything… The minerals added with Blue Minerals transform your paint into an incredibly porous chalk-style paint that can adhere to even the smoothest of surfaces including;
- Finished or Unfinished Wood
All without sanding or priming!
WHAT TYPE OF PAINT CAN I USE WITH BLUE MINERALS?
You can use any brand, sheen, or color of latex or acrylic paint with Blue Minerals. We personally love using Behr and Benjamin Moore Products.
Although you can use any sheen of paint with Blue Minerals, if you are looking for a traditional chalk-style look and feel, we recommend using a flat or matte sheen, then waxing with Fiddes Supreme Wax.
If you are looking for a high gloss finish, the best way to achieve this is to use a semi-gloss paint with a high gloss polyurethane coating. This will give you the most consistent and even finish. You can also use wax to achieve a high gloss finish, but you will be doing a lot of buffing and may want to consider purchasing a Round Drill Buffing Brush to save you time.
WHAT TYPE OF TOP COAT DO I NEED?
Although you do not necessarily need a top coat when using Blue Minerals, we highly recommend one. Our favorite to coat is Fiddes Supreme Wax.
Why We Love Fiddes:
- Easy to Apply
- Dries Faster and Harder
- Can be used on Bare or Painted Surfaces
- Low Odor
- Can be applied with a rag or a brush
- Environmentally Friendly – contains a unique blend of environmentally friendly waxes.
- Toluene Free – (Thank goodness)Toluene is a chemical substance obtained from coal tar or petroleum. When released into the air it can cause dizziness, headaches and fatique
The only situation in which we feel that wax should not be used is in kitchens. The reason is because the oils and acids that are common in a kitchen can wear away at your wax, causing you to have to re-wax your cabinets every couple of years. While you may choose to do this because of the ease of applying wax, for a longer lasting finish, try using Water Based poly-urethane instead! It will create a slightly “plastic” look and feel compared to Fiddes, but will stand up much longer.
HOW DO I MIX BLUE MINERALS WITH MY PAINT?
Mixing Blue Minerals is super easy! We even have a video tutorial to show you how. Check it out!
DOES THE POWDER ALTER THE COLOR OF MY PAINT?
Absolutely not! Although the powder is white, it will not alter the color of your paint once it’s been thoroughly mixed in. You can even use Blue Minerals with Black Paint!
WHAT TYPE OF PREP-WORK IS REQUIRED/ RECOMMENDED?
HOW MUCH PAINT WILL I NEED?
HOW MANY COATS WILL I NEED?
The number of coats you will need for a particular project varies depending on the original color of the project and the color you are using. For most projects, 2 coats is more than enough to get a solid color. If you are using a lighter color, such as white, you might need 3 coats to get a completely opaque coverage.
HOW MUCH PAINT DOES BLUE MINERALS MAKE?
We offer multiple sizes of Blue Minerals to allow you to purchase only what you need. Eliminating waste!
Blue Minerals Sizes:
- 2 oz. Blue Minerals Chalk & Mineral Paint Powder – Makes 1 Pint (2 Cups of Paint)
- 4 oz. Blue Minerals Chalk & Mineral Paint Powder – Makes 1 Quart of Paint
- 16 oz. Blue Minerals Chalk & Mineral Paint Powder – Makes 1 Gallon of Paint
- 32 oz. Blue Minerals Chalk & Mineral Paint Powder – Makes 2 Gallons of Paint
- 80 oz. Blue Minerals Chalk & Mineral Paint Powder – Makes 5 Gallons of Paint
The best part about using Blue Minerals is that you only need to mix what you need for each project! So you can get 4 different colors out of 1 4 oz container of Blue Minerals Chalk & Mineral Paint Powder, giving you the freedom to express your creativity in a million ways!
* You can purchase sample pots of paint in any color at Home Depot for $3. A sample pot makes 1 cup of paint and is perfect for small projects or accent colors.
WHAT TYPE OF SHEEN CAN YOU USE BLUE MINERALS WITH?
Blue Minerals can be used with any sheen, brand or color of paint. The minerals in our recipe do flatten the sheen slightly, so you should purchase your paint accordingly.
If you are looking for a traditional Chalk-style finish, then we recommend getting a flat or matte paint. Benjamin Moore’s Matte Sheen Paint is the flattest we have found, and provides a gorgeous silky chalk finish, but other brands work well too! Keep in mind the flatter then sheen, the more likely brush strokes are to appear if you are using a brush.
If you will be waxing your furniture to protect it (which we highly recommend), we recommend using an eggshell finish. This makes waxing slightly easier, as the contrast between the wax and the paint is lessened.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN BLUE MINERALS CHALK SYTLE PAINT AND CHALK BOARD PAINT?
Chalk Style Paint and Chalk Board Paint are actually very different. Chalk Board paint generally is what you would get if you added Chalk or Calcium Carbonate to regular latex paint. Although it does allow you to write on the surface with chalk, it does not add any porous agents to the paint. This means that there are not addition gripping abilities over just regular latex or acrylic paint.
Blue Minerals is much more than that. Although our solution does contain some Calcium Carbonate, it also includes multiple other ingredients purely designed to help the paint adhere to surfaces without the need for sanding or priming. This saves you hours of time and tons of money that you would spend on sandpaper and primer. It can still be used to create a chalk board in any color you like, in many cases at less cost than name brand chalk board paints, but it can be used for a world of other applications as well!